(click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).
|The village pump, near the bottom of the hill, just
above the pub - broken. This pump is practically identical with one at the
Popple Well, on the island of Lindisfarne, and the lion trademark indicates
that both were made by Joseph Evans & Sons, of Wolverhampton. This firm,
which used the sign of the lion from about 1890, had depots in Cardiff,
Sheffield, Manchester, Newcastle- on-Tyne and Glasgow, but has now ceased
trading. The pattern is essentially what they termed their "Colonial" or
"Cottage" Pump, although they produced many variants.
Grid Ref: SH 759059.