Y Plas and Bro Ddyfi Leisure Centre (click on photograph to bring up bigger/better version).
 

Plas The Plas, which for a time housed the now sadly-defunct Celtica but is now being put to good use again as offices and corporate spaces, and - to the right - the Bro Ddyfi Leisure Centre. This latter building is thoroughly modern in its design, but uses materials which are largely sympathetic to the area. To the left are sports fields, and beyond is a childrens' playground and a rose garden. Many of the rambling rhododendrons have been cleared in recent years and, unfortunately, some of the magnificent large trees have had to be felled. However, the Plas and its grounds, given to the town by the local lord of the manor back in 1948, add immensely to Machynlleth's pleasant atmosphere. The demolition of a large section of wall along Pentrerhedyn St., which for years essentially segregated the Plas from the town, has had the happy effect of opening up the area and making the Plas feel part of the town, rather than an appendage.
Dolphin Fountain This odd fountain, crawling with dolphins, is in the centre of the rose garden, and was renovated by the local Rotary Club in the late 50s/early 60s. It has since been spruced up a bit, but is no longer in a working state.
woodcarvings Woodcarvings with a Celtic theme outside Plas Machynlleth.
carved seat Yes - this as uncomfortable as it looks!
Glyndwr Memorial The memorial to Owain Glyndwr, Prince of Wales, erected in 2001, and formed from a local slate slab.
fields Fields belonging to Llynlloedd Farm, alongside the Plas grounds, the scene of occasional Sheepdog Trials in years gone by (perhaps still?). There are some magnificent conker trees in these private fields, and every season the local kids felt it well worthwhile running the risk of being apprehended by Mr. Fenwick, the farmer, just for a chance to collect some prime specimens.
M.U.D.C. memorial A record of the chairmen of Machynlleth Urban District Council, 1895-1974.

Return to Pic List

Return to Mach Map