Castell Gwallter (click on
photograph to bring up bigger/better version).
|Possibly originally called Castell Penweddig, this is a 5m high castle mound with a double bailey and two attached rectangular baileys. It was built by Walter de Bec sometime after 1110, and destroyed by the warlike Princes Owain and Cadwaladr in 1136. It was subsequently rebuilt, but captured by another set of belligerent Princes, Maredudd and Rhys, in 1151. It is a remarkably well-preserved mound, entirely wild - and on private land, but a public footpath goes very close.|
Return to Pic List